Chef Greg Picolo of Redemption Restaurant
Photographed by Jeffery Johnston
Smoked Butternut Squash Roasted Red Pepper Bisque With Tarragon-Scented Jumbo Lump Crab and Red Pepper Sour Cream
• 2 medium-sized butternut squash, peeled, de-seed and cut into medium-sized chunks
• 2 red bell peppers
• 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1/4 cup sour cream
• 2 large onions sliced
• 3 ribs celery, sliced
• 1 large green bell pepper, seeds removed and sliced
• 1-2 quarts chicken stock
• 2 Tablespoons fresh minced garlic
• 3 Tablespoons light soy sauce
• 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 2 teaspoons five-spice powder
• Pinch of cayenne, or to taste Salt and pepper to taste
• 1/2 cup heavy cream
• 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1 teaspoon fresh chopped tarragon
• 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat
Place squash chunks in a smoker and cold smoke, (ice between heat and product) for 45 minutes or until they’re a medium-brown color.
Flame-roast peppers over open burner until charred on all sides.
Remove and place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap to steam peppers.
When cool enough to handle, peel charred skin and medium-dice the peppers.
Purée 1/3 of the roasted red peppers with lemon juice, salt and pepper until smooth.
Add sour cream and set aside.
Combine onions, celery and green pepper in a large heavy-bottom soup pot with a small amount of oil and let cook 3-5 minutes over medium heat to color vegetables.
Add smoked squash pieces, stock, garlic, soy sauce, Worcestershire, five-spice, cayenne and salt and pepper to taste.
Cook until all vegetables are very tender.
Purée until smooth, adjust seasoning to preference and add heavy cream.
Place the remaining 2/3 diced red peppers in soup and keep warm
Melt butter and add tarragon.
Warm crabmeat and add to soup.
Drizzle the sour cream and red pepper mixture over soup and serve
Redemption | 3835 Iberville St., 309-3570, Redemption-Nola.com